The Importance of Fish Oil
Whether you are looking to maximize brain function, lower your triglyceride levels, or build muscle, you must include a high quality fish oil supplement in your diet. There are few supplements on the market that offer as many benefits as fish oil.
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is derived from the tissue of fatty fish and contain omega-3 fatty acidseicosapentaenoic acid(EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid(DHA), precursors of certain eicosanoids that are known to reduce inflammation in the body and have other health benefits. Omega-3 fats are the good fats and block the actions of the bad fats or omega 6 fats. Omega 6 fats are chemicals that are acted on by enzymes in our bodies to make inflammatory mediators. It is important to know that not all omega 3 fatty acids are useful to our health. ALA, an omega 3 fat, found in flax seed oil is an omega 3 fatty acid, but there is no convincing clinical data in support of ALA improving our cardiovascular or inflammatory index. For ALA to work, it must first be converted to EPA. Our bodies convert ALA to EPA at a very low and erratic rate. EPA’s beneficial actions are considered to mainly involve peripheral (non brain) actions. DHA is considered to be brain active.*
Benefits of Fish Oil
The scientific literature indicates that omega 3 oil is good for general health issues, and has been reported to control inflammation, prevent sudden cardiac death, and to lower serum triglycerides. Inflammation is either a cause or result of diverse diseases such as asthma, ulcerative colitis, congestive heart failure, and Alzheimer’s disease. Exercise will induce inflammation. Besides increasing pain, inflammation will degrade muscle. It is very important to control chronic inflammation. *
Omega-3 Oil Key Factors*
- The higher the concentration the better the effect (heart, inflammation, brain)
- High concentration helps drive omega-3 fats into key target tissues such as all cell membranes, heart, fat, skeletal muscle and brain
- All cells in our body derive benefits from high dose omega-3 oil
2. LIQUID FORM:
- Liquid fish oil absorbs faster than gel caps
- Effective when taken with our without food.
- May be taken in a divided dose once in morning and once at night
- Fast absorption improves accumulation in cell membranes
3. SIDE EFFECTS:
- There are virtually no side effects
- Doses exceeding 20 grams/ day have been used for months without side effects
- It is theoretically possible that omega-3 oil could increase bleeding time, but this possibility has not been shown, to date, to be a problem.
* Courtesy of STRONGER FASTER HEALTHIER